All students in any jazz class must audition at the top of the semester so we can get a idea of what level you are at, what groups we could place you with, identify your interests and also share some of the opporunities we have.
The audition process is basically a chance for us to get to know students and get them on our radar. We do want to know who you are! With that in mind, think of the audition as an introduction and personal meeting to identify your needs and identify how we can help you.
AUDITIONS FOR SPRING 2020 ARE
Thursday, January 9th in room 354.
AUDITION SIGN UP SHEET
Students must sign up for and audition time by Thursday morning, January 9th. The sign up for Auditions is on the Jazz Band Display Case located in the School of Music (on the first floor by room 101).
GENERAL JAZZ MEETING!
ALL STUDENTS ENROLLED IN ANY JAZZ CLASSES OR AUDITIONING FOR BANDS ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND THE SPRING GENERAL JAZZ MEETING:
Monday, January 6th at 8pm (Location TBA..we will have signs up in the MUB)
JAZZ BAND REHEARSAL TIME
In Spring, Jazz Ensemble One meets on Tuesday and Thursday from 4pm to 5pm.
All musicians auditioning for the University of Florida jazz program will use the U.S. Army Blues play a-long big band album (link below). It is free and an amazing resource!
Go to the website listed below and download the free tracks, the free music for the lead parts, and download the free music minus-lead mp3 . This will allow students to practice along with the music and nail the part.
The track we audition with is "FREDDIE'S SIDE OF THE BLUES."
WHAT IS REQUIRED DURING THE AUDITION?
1. You will fill out a student information form and contact sheet
2. You will be asked to play your prepared piece with play along track. If you do not have a piece that is fine but you stand the best chance of making a better position by having a prepared piece. You may also play a transcription instead of the prepared piece.
3. You will be asked to count 8 bars of rhythm.
4. You will be asked to sight read a selection.
5. Student find out the audition results through Twitter so make sure you follow the Gator Jazz Band Twitter @GatorJazzBand and make sure all messages are sent directly to your phone. All students in all jazz classes have to sign up for the Twitter and it is our main method of communication.